Sunday, November 13, 2005

Why I've Created This Blog

Yesterday, I attended a memorial service for Joel Gersmann, the artistic director of Broom Street Theater, who died in June. I sat with Patrick McGilligan and his wife, Tina. In addition to being a well respected film historian and biographer, Patrick is president of the Class of 1969, the last class to graduate from the school founded as Madison High School, subsequently re-named Madison Central High School, and for the last few years of its existence referred to as Central-University High School.

Seeing Patrick served as yet another reminder that Central High School graduates are a vanishing breed. They’re all over 50 -- and their names appear with relentless regularity in the obituary sections of the Wisconsin State Journal and The Capital Times.

I’m determined to write a history of Madison Central High School and this blog is being created to reach out to the school’s alumni. I want to hear your stories, share your memories. I want to make certain our collective history is preserved.

Some of the things I’d like to do, such as creating an archive of alumni biographies, would probably be better served by a website. However, websites cost money to host and blogs are free. Until there are sufficient funds to create a permanent website, I hope alumni will consider this blog a meeting place where they can share information. I’ll try to post news about upcoming reunions, as well as news about living alumni and obituaries about alumni who are no longer with us.

I encourage you to leave comments on posts. You may also contact me by email by clicking on "View My Complete Profile" and using the email link on the left-hand side of that page.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Rich Bennett must believe the all-central reunions can only be for the hearty Madisonians. Why else would he schedule them for the dead of winter? BRRRRRRR and no thanks. Marcy Cuff, class of 1967, current Floridian